Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Another great institution closing.

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 1/16/2017 9:29 AM, Dave in SoTex wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 1/15/2017 12:42 PM, woodchucker wrote:

While I hate to see a 160 year old business close, I never saw the
attraction. Went to the circus once about 60 years ago and never had
a desire to go back. Remember, it used to be two different circuses
that combined to survive. May have even been a third one swallowed up
too, Cole Bros.

While it's probably been 25 years ago, my wife and I took our six
year old boy to the Summit to see Ringling Bros. I remember thinking
then [as I do to this day], "Stupid pet tricks." Might be fun to
photograph it.

Dave in SoTex

Hard to believe, I can remember when the Summit was being built. About
1975 ish IIRC. It was a great concert venue.

It can't have been a "great concert venue", given that it was also
a sports arena (and apparently now a mega church who spent NINETY FIVE MILLION
dollars to rennovate that (so much for charity) - then bought the entire kaboodle from the city
for 7.5 million. I'd say the taxpayers got screwed).

The Dorothy Chandler Pavillion, the Sydney opera house, the Met, the Warfield,
and the Fillmore are "great concert venues" :-)