Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/14/2017 2:58 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/14/17 8:48 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/13/2017 2:48 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Is it really that hard for posters here to delete the irrelevant text
that they are responding to? It's a very common problem from many of
the regulars here and that has long been an annoying thing in usenet.
Really guys - you can't snip everything except the relevant point you
are responding to? Sheese...

One of my main peeves, although I gave up complaining about it during
Fidonet days. When you see me not snip a long post, you can be sure
it's to get back at the poster(s) that didn't snip to begin with. It's
FAR more annoying than punctuation issues.

If they are too freaking lazy/dumb to snip, I'm happy to add to the mix.
Complaining about it never works, so might as well try to annoy them
back.

I'm not so irritated by it anymore for a couple reasons.
1. Snipping long posts was necessary when people were paying for data
downloaded and using 14k modems that took quite a while to download even
text.

It was a minor issue with 9600k modems, ended with 14K, and non existent
with 56K. The bitch is not about paying for the data, it is annoying to
page though meaningless gibberish to see a reply related to one sentence
in a message. It was bad form in Fidonet days, and bad form today, for
the same reason.

Neither of those things are a concern anymore, since newsgroups
are never going to put anyone over a data limit and nobody's of dial-up
anymore. (If you are, that's your problem!) :-)

Like I said, that has not been an issue since 14k modems, and is not the
issue today.

2. The fact that we're even debating this in a newsgroup is like
complaining about the 8-track cassette fading out and switching tracks
in the middle of the guitar solo.

Nobody but you mentioned data cost/speed issue, that was stupid even in
14k days. It is poor form and annoying to post 50 lines of text and say
"agreed" at the end. It is NOT a cost or thru-put issue. You brought
up the speed/cost issue, then argued against it. Classic Strawman.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com