Kevin MacTavish

Default Dry Rock Retaining Wall

"RedHeadAllDay" wrote in message t...
I want to build a dry retaining wall of field stone around the top of the
steps, then taper the wall along the drive in either direction...

Bob Curry

Take a look at the Dry Stone Wall Association of Canada, at

http://www.jboyweb.com/drystonewall/

Most of the information there relates to standard walls rather than
retaining walls, but I understand that the principles work equally
well for both. For example, you will *not* need to dig a foundation to
below the frost line. The whole point of dry stone walls is that they
shift with the frost heave and, if constructed properly, can actually
settle stronger than when originally built. Take a look at the web
site and email your questions to the contact address there, and I'm
confident you'll find some help.

Kevin MacTavish