Posted to sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default wire conductivity

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 14:43:12 -0800 (PST), wrote:

no, in the 1930's rubber insulation decayed against copper so cladding was produced. Aluminum cladding ( I read this last night ) did not adhere to copper but the Westinghouse patent covering copper with silver produced a functioning AL outer layer .....for lower temps on the surface or greater resistance to degradation from outside heat sources...I'm not sure which or both.

Thus, with a fine multiple strand wire there is more conductivity, less degradation more flex with a smaller space occupation. Maybe more effective bundling ?

that's what the material suggests. I read the answer to my question of not flowing thru less resistance toward the center of a copper wire with a thicker AL cladding as the outer areas of conductivity are geometrically larger supplying more free electrons in this Cu AL apparently topping more conductive copper below.

now tell me why that wire is more resistive ? as per common knowledge.

AlSi coatings are used for environmental protection. They will not
improve surface conductivity directly, but can preserve conductivity
of the coated material and assist to reduce corrosion.

I've never seen it offered for copper. Perhaps you can offer a
reference or link to the material you're refering to?

Aluminum is more resistive by volume than copper (less resistive by
weight).....so is unlikely to be used to reduce skin resistance of a
copper conductor directly, in the short term.

RL