Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

In article zPOdnRXd9uHNyefFnZ2dnUU7-
, lcb11211@swbelldotnet
says...

On 1/14/2017 10:17 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/14/2017 10:22 AM, Jack wrote:

Why Sears, Lowes, Home Depot won't give a decent price on small items is
not important to me. I guess enough people don't mind getting screwed,
or even know they are getting screwed.
I've been there myself.

I'm not sure you are getting screwed in spite of the high price. The
big box stores have a different method of handling inventory and the
cost is probably the same for a 10 cent screw as it is for a $20 light
fixture or $200 appliance. I can buy a pound of ham at the deli for
about the same price as a ham sandwich and loaf of bread. You pay for
the handling and convenience.

Yes. A lot of "small cheap items" walk out of the store unpaid for.
Many retailers stock the cheap item so that the customer will not go to
another store to buy that item, possibly first and possibly loosing a
sale altogether.

A customer wants to buy supplies for an oil change.

Store A stocks oil filters, $10. Drain plug gaskets, $2 and oil $7.50
per quart.

Store B stocks oil filters, $9. Drain Plugs gaskets, .25 cents but no oil.

Store A is the most expensive on like items but gets the sale 90% of the
time over Store B.

Convenience comes at a cost, it's like location, location, location in
the real estate market.

I see that with food. There are on the four
corners of an intersection, Aldi, ShopRite,
Stop&Shop, and BigY. On the stuff Aldi carries
they are generally the cheapest. But there's
always one or two items on my list that they
don't have so I have to go to one of the other
stores to get the missing items. On food stamps
it was worth visiting the two. On a quant's
salary it's not and I just skip Aldi.