Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

In article zrmdnbP0OZY64e_FnZ2dnUU7-
, lcb11211@swbelldotnet
says...

On 1/8/2017 10:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article e53f370e-286c-47b5-96b8-4750c73cc302
@googlegroups.com,

says...

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 1:33:36 PM UTC-6, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/5/2017 1:40 PM, Leon wrote:
Apparently Craftsman was around before Sears acquired it 90 years ago.
And now Sears is selling Craftsman tools to Stanley.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-...--finance.html

Yep, not sure how selling off the better selling lines will save Sears.
If you sell them, you get quick cash, but then what?

I think Sears will go out of business shortly. Been 2 years that I have
been waiting for them to give up. Last Christmas, no one was in the
store I went to, while all the other stores were packed.

The craftsman line is not what it once was. Too bad. But don't look to
Stanley, B&D to bring it back. They are horrendous at managing the tool
lines..

Dewalt, B&D, Milwaukee, Stanley, are all former shells of what they once
were. The latest one to drop was Milwaukee, with people lamenting that
the quality has dropped.

Even B&D coffee maker sucks now.

I don't see this as a bad thing, nor a good thing.

--
Jeff

---

Does not bode well for quality but I've got a few Craftsman tools and for parts and service I'm glad a company without a foot in the grave will take over.

I'm kind of tempted to drop the bucks for one of
their big mechanic tool sets before they're
gone. OTOH, I've been taking the Jeep apart for
years now with a 50 buck Harbor Freight set so
maybe not.

Craftsman will still be around, it is Sears that might disappear. You
can get craftsman at 6 other brand stores too.

https://www.craftsman.com/where-to-buy?location=77407

But will they still be made in USA or will the
just be the same stuff Harbor Freight sells only
with a higher price tag?

You might also consider Northern Tool for tools too. We have a few of
their stores in the Houston area and they, compared to HF, are much
nicer and do carry brand name tools.

The nearest Northern Tool to me is 600 miles
away. There's a Harbor Freight in the same
block as Home Depot and Lowes to the north and I
drive past another one on the way to Home Depot
and Lowes to the south. On the other hand, the
closest place to buy tools is a Home Depot with
no nearby Lowes or Harbor Freight--there was a
Sears across the street though.

Snap-On does come to work to service the
helicopter mechanics and maintenance staff--I
suppose I should find out their schedule.

BUT they have their own brand of sockets and wrenches that resemble the
slick chrome that SnapOn sells/used to sell.
The wrenches are pretty darn inexpensive and have a life time warranty.
I have a few of their wrenches for special use and am impressed for the
money.

Harbor Freight's store brand wrenches have a
nice finish and lifetime warranty as well.

I bought this particular wrench to replace the wrench that came with the
router. Like Craftsman you can buy individual wrenches.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Open stock is a big benefit of Sears--at HF
it's a set or nothing.