Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 8:43:08 AM UTC-5, Baron wrote:
prodded the keyboard with:

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 7:43:01 AM UTC-5, Baron wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy prodded the keyboard with:

I have an APC Back-UPS ES 750 to which I have plugged in my PVR
(a not particularly high-powered computer, and with only one HD).
It is not indicating that the battery is dead and needs
replacing, but whenever the power goes off, even for just a
second or two, the UPS indicates that it is overloaded (no
indicator lights, and continuous sound).

Is it worth replacing the battery just in case, or is this thing
ready for the recyclers?

Perce

Use your car battery for a test !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

NOT if your car has a 'brain'. Removing the battery will remove much
of the 'learning' it does, wipe the radio code (do you remember
where that is?), wipe out any sync, and, perhaps, wipe some of the
operational updates (there are always some) that have been done on
the car since it was first programmed at the factory.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

He doesn't have to remove the battery, just use jumper leads to test
the UPS.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Really?

We have established that the UPS is not working. What if the "not working" has nothing to do with the battery? Now you are connecting one system - defects unknown - to another system not (yet) defective, directly.

Smart move!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA