Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default R. Cott. 12

On 14/01/2017 20:47, NY wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
I think I met a slightly more sensible Openreach engineer, who said
that extending from the master socket to the router would be fine
*providing* it was done in Cat5/6 cable. So I extended the split
outputs of the master socket (phones and internet) via a double wall
socket by the BT socket, about 15M of cat 5e cable, and a patch
panel, and thence to the router, and there is no visible performance
difference to having the router right next to the master socket. It
also puts the router in the centre of the house at ceiling level,
which helps with wi-fi coverage.

When we upgraded to VDSL, I originally moved the router to be close to
the master socket, which was very inconvenient as a) the wifi coverage
throughout the house was less strong, and b) I had to use Homeplug to
get an Ethernet feed to my PC upstairs.

So I experimented...

- best sync speed was with the router in the test socket of the master
socket

- sync speed reduced by a couple of Mbps when I connected the house
wiring and put the router in the front plate of the master socket

There is something wrong with the connection then.
It should make no difference if you have a proper face plate and the
connections are correct.
On mine there is a filtered side and an unfiltered side. The house
wiring goes in the filtered side and the VDSL plugs in the unfiltered
side. You only put the house wiring in the unfiltered side if you want
the VDSL on one of the extension sockets. You want to avoid that if
possible.

I find it better to extend the unfiltered port on the faceplate to the
router using cat5 cable rather than using the phone wiring.