Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/14/17 10:42 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/14/2017 10:29 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/14/17 8:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote: (It also lets you avoid
being charged for sales tax automatically
in some states. You're still supposed to submit it anyway, but
who does?)

Puckdropper

We can't avoid it anymore, since there's an Amazon warehouse in TN,
so we get charged sales tax, anyway.

BTW, TN calls it a sales and use tax. WTF is that!? I'm getting
charged to use something!?

In Texas the sales and or use tax goes like this.

Sales tax, easy to understand, when you buy something you pay a sales
tax. It is considered use tax if you are a tax exempt business and
purchase products for resale but do not actually resale the item.
Say you buy 50 screws and do not pay sales tax. You sell 45 screws,
collect sales tax on the 45 screws and forward that money/tax
collected to the state.

You keep the remaining 5 screws for personal USE. The business/you
pay the USE tax on the price you paid for the 5 screws that you did
not sell and collect sales tax on.

Makes sense. I used to have a business license that allowed me to buy
stuff sans tax and I seem to remember hearing what you wrote.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--