Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default R. Cott. 12

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 12:37:53 -0000, "Charles F"
wrote:

snip

The intake point, router and my PC will all be in the study which has a
window overlooking the farmyard. Open Reach strongly advised keeping the
intake/router cable short. (We have had the discussion on negligible
effect:-)

I think I met a slightly more sensible Openreach engineer, who said that
extending from the master socket to the router would be fine *providing*
it
was done in Cat5/6 cable.

Was the right answer. ;-)

Well, I'm not sure if the 'std' twisted pair telephone cable is Cat5
or whatever but as long as you extend it the last few meters using
something suitable (eg, not alarm wire) then it shouldn't have much
impact over the several km it has already taken to get to you. ;-)

It isnt normally several km with VDSL2 tho.