Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 17:47:02 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/14/2017 2:20 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 09:12:54 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 1/13/2017 12:14 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 1/13/2017 10:46 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes Amazon as well. I would suggest not dabbling in what you don't
understand. Like those $1.99 shelf brackets that are more expensive
than the Prime brackets once you add in the shipping.

I'd suggest not dabbling in what you don't understand.

Since neither of you seem to have any experience with
online retailing, perhaps you're both tilting at windmills.

How would you know how much experience we have with on line retailing?

Besides, we certainly have plenty of experience with on-line retailing
from the customers point of view, and that's about all that counts. If
the customer doesn't like what you're doing, you're doing it wrong.

Well that's certainly a novel idea --- If the customer is always
right, perhaps he should go into buainess while he knows it all?
Perhaps the "customer" can change the laws of economics - - - -

Well, while every one knows that the customer is not always right, not
having the attitude that the customer is not always right will run away
business.

The customer is why you are there, if the customer is not there neither
are you. You have to know when to give in and when not to.

When I was the service sales manager for the Olds dealership we were
very busy, a typical Monday morning during the Summer meant taking in
150 or so vehicles. I had 6 service advisers doing nothing but writing
repair orders from 7:00 am till about 1:30 in the afternoon. A typical
week was 400+ vehicles going through our service department.
We were in down town Houston and 80% of our business was big fleet
business, oil companies, banks, etc. We provided great service and
certainly charged a premium for our services. Using the OLDS warranty
labor manual for our flag time we charged up to $70 per hour, 33 years ago.

For our customers that brought in their personal vehicles that may have
had an issue with a repair or what ever they thought they were paying
for I had a special way of letting the customer be right if they were
not happy. My service adviser would bring the customer to me, explain
the situation and I would immediately apologist, right or wrong, and
hand the customer my business card with a note on the back. The note
stated that the customer got a 10% discount on his next visit when he
presented my card and there was absolutely no limit to the dollar amount
of repairs. They were always happy because they felt that some one
cared and extended a token of appreciation for the situation.

We also had a separate department that followed up on every service
customer with in one week. Every customer was asked 10 question about
his or her experience. Our satisfaction rating was never under 95%. I
will add that I and the service advisers could double our pay checks as
long as the customer rating did not go below 92% That was a feat
considering 400 new customer each week.

Similar to my experience but mine was on a smaller scale. Absorption
rate was never under 90%, and retention rate hovered between 90 and
120% on 3 year rating. That was over my 10 years as service manager of
the smaller of 3 Toyota dealers in the Golden Triangle. We were in the
top 10 in the nation and top 2 in the province in customer
satisfaction for 9 out of the 10 years.