Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Taymar blowtorch cartridge replace

On 1/14/2017 4:59 PM, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 15:03:23 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 12:46:05 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

Now I understand Taymar is defunct. I have a cylinder for a small
camping gas burner but that is a Butane/Propane mix and looking for
other cylinders on the net yield similar results - Butane/Propane mix.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-of-fou.../dp/B000B8JMZU

Those (very cheap btw) seem to be for camping.

Is Butane/Propane a safety thing? As far as I can see my old Taymar
is Butane only. What difference does it make having Butane/Propane
for a blowtorch? I'll use my spare camping gas burner if there is not
any reason not to.

The vapour pressure of propane is higher, butane cylinders run out of
"oomph" at low temperatures. I have always assumed that propane is
preferred by plumbers and roofers because they may need to work outdoors
in mid-winter, while campers are tucked up safely at home. That said,
butane is still the standard for boats and caravans.

You can get alternative jets for stoves if you change gas. As others
have said, you might well get away with mix in the Taymar.