Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default R. Cott. 12

In message , Charles F
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , T i m
writes
On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 09:06:15 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I have 100m of Cat 6 ordered and will lay in runs from the
telephone intake point to likely outlet needs.

As an aside, is that the best place to have the centre of your wiring?
Eg, if it's in the hall, so you want the router, possibly an Ethernet
switch and all the cables in the hall by your front door? An
alternative is you can put all your 'comms' in a cupboard somewhere
and then just run a cable or two between where the router might sit
(say a couple of places) and said comms space or get the BT line /
Cable fed into there as well.

I have done just that with / for several people and it worked out very
well.

The intake point, router and my PC will all be in the study which has
a window overlooking the farmyard. Open Reach strongly advised
keeping the intake/router cable short. (We have had the discussion on
negligible effect:-)

I think I met a slightly more sensible Openreach engineer, who said
that extending from the master socket to the router would be fine
*providing* it was done in Cat5/6 cable. So I extended the split
outputs of the master socket (phones and internet) via a double wall
socket by the BT socket, about 15M of cat 5e cable, and a patch panel,
and thence to the router, and there is no visible performance
difference to having the router right next to the master socket. It
also puts the router in the centre of the house at ceiling level, which
helps with wi-fi coverage.

There was a modest improvement here but difficult to be sure. Possibly
better locations for filters.

Are you going to use all these new cables for wired phones too? Or are
wired phones so last century!

There will be two other wired phones. I don't want a flock of visitors
trecking to the office to see if there are any messages.

--
Tim Lamb