Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trex - horrible to paint

On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 05:42:58 -0800 (PST), been sorry for 17 years
wrote:

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 2:40:30 AM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:
Since I was painting the (wood) back porch, thought I'd paint the (Trex) side steps to match. (Yes, the Trex is several years old, so that wasn't a problem).

Terrible idea!

After scrubbing and rinsing the steps and letting them dry, I applied BM acrylic. Or rather TRIED to apply. Never saw such a miserable surface. Streaks and iffy coverage. Used a lot of time and a lot of expensive paint. Second coat helped only a little. Still streaks, etc.

After the fact, went on-line. Trex only approves 2 coverage, both stains.
But other sites don't specifically say don't use paint.

Wish I'd left the Trex alone; it was an unobtrusive pinkish beige-ish color

Was this a unique experience? What, if anything, did I do wrong?

TIA

HB

What you did wrong was try to paint an unpaintable surface. The
uncoated Trex can be coloured using a penetrating transparent or
semitransparent stain - not too much in the world of "paint" that will
stick to the stuff.