Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default 2 christmas projects.

On 1/14/2017 9:50 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 1/9/17 8:11 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually most, the wider looking ones, are 1/2" and made up of 4, 1/8"
wide strips. Sometimes 1 walnut, 2 maple, and another walnut.

The trick is to insure that the strips will add up exactly to the width
that you remove.

Typically I use a pattern to guide a 1/2" top bearing flush cut bit to
cut about 1/8" deep into the glued up cutting board. I then cut down
that grove with the BS. Now the cutting board is two pieces.

With a larger flush cut bit I remove the remainder of the wood that the
1/2" bit started removing. The bearing rides against the 1/8" recess
created by the 1/2" bit.

Then sandwich and glue them all, the thin strips and the cutting board
pieces, back together. Do this whole procedure for each individual set
of stripes.

I've made a few of these after seeing the technique in FWW. I like
Leon's idea of the first pattern bit and template, I've always used a
guide bushing on the router table and one _must_ keep the board square
to the bit (no rotation allowed). Works good for simple curves but
errors creep in if one is not careful.

Leon, how long is your pattern bit? The bits I have would require a
template at least 3/4" thick.

I use a cheap 1/4" shank, 1/2" wide x 1/2" long top bearing flush cut
bit for the initial grove. My template was 3/4" MDF, easy to shape and
smooth the arcs. Done with a hand held trim router.

After cutting down the middle of the groove with my BS I use a
1"diameter flush trim bit in my router table. the bearing rides along
the first grove and cleans up the remaining 5/8" of material.

The latest ones:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/263994

There is a short FWW video of the process (if you can finish it with out
barfing from the vertigo 8^)

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...oard-ever.aspx

That is the one I watched to learn how to do this.

A couple of suggestions and the video shows this but you have to be
looking for it.

Clamping is challenging.
1. Cut your strips so that they are proud of the top and bottom surface
of the cutting board halves by about 1/4", They slip a bit during clamping.

2. Cut a grove in the cauls for the thin strips to pass through during
the clamp up.