Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/13/2017 11:49 PM, Markem wrote:

Do not do Amazon in this household, you see my wife is in the
publishing business. Amazon has made margin in that business a joke.

OTOH, Amazon allows individuals to self-publish, keeping more of their
royalties and saving the buyers money. Not good for publishers but
they don't have a value add in this sort of market.

Well as my wife is Director of an university press the damage done by
Amazon is viewed critically. Self publishing is easy, getting your
stuff sold though. As a matter of survival she has started a "vanity
publishing arm" and so it goes.

From some stories I've heard, the publishing industry is getting what
they deserve. I guess it depends on what side of the fence you are on.

A guy I work with wrote a book with the intent of having it as a memory
for his family. Amazon let him publish and list it and he has sold
about 400 copies. Simon & Schuster types would not bother with the
likes of him.

Times are changing. No money in publishing? How about going into buggy
whip and shoe hooks?