Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ikea Effect: The Science of Cheap, Crappy Furniture

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 12:15:47 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

...snip...

I actually do quite a bit of RTA furniture assembly for people in my area.
FWIW, I'm very pleased when I find out it will be an IKEA product I'm
going to assemble because their quality is significantly higher than
other RTA furniture.

....snip...

You would love putting together some of the RTA pieces that I have in my
house. This 9' x 6' x 3' armoire is RTA:

http://s440.photobucket.com/user/Der...d847e.jpg.html

This is one on the connectors that holds the top on (right hand image). You
use any type of round pointed object to turn a barrel nut to draw the
sections together.

http://s440.photobucket.com/user/Der...5b0d6.jpg.html

The unit knocks down to 10(?) pieces not including the shelves. The biggest
single pieces are the top and the base. Roughly 9 x 3 x 6". The rest are all
about the size of one of the doors.

I have a 6' wide glass front book case, a dining room hutch, a curved glass
china cabinet and a few other pieces from the same manufacturer. They were
made by a German firm (whose name escapes me right now) back in the early
1900's.