Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Ikea Effect: The Science of Cheap, Crappy Furniture

On 1/13/17 10:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/13/2017 8:53 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 8:43:23 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal
wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

My daughter bought one of those flat-pack WallyWorld book
cases for her dorm room. I assembled it and stood it against
wall when she first moved in.

2 years later she got an off-campus apartment. Now, I'm
pretty good at packing my trailer to keep the contents safe.
God knows I've done it enough times. We loaded everything in,
strapped it all down and off we went.

I drove 3 miles to her apartment, opened the trailer, took
out the pieces of the busted up book case and put them by the
dumpster. It sure doesn't take stress much to blow those
fasteners right out of the fiber board. A few bumps and it
was toast.

I would have disassembled it for transport, myself.

Feel free, but not me.

I had a particleboard (vinyl woodgrain) bookshelf unit that I got
in 1979. It survived four moves by simply disassembling it and
reassembling it. It's not rocket science.

Yeah but yeah but ;~) Back then it was quality compared to recent
stuff.

I actually do quite a bit of RTA furniture assembly for people in my area.
FWIW, I'm very pleased when I find out it will be an IKEA product I'm
going to assemble because their quality is significantly higher than
other RTA furniture.

Most of the time, the "important" parts of the furniture are actually
solid wood instead of termite vomit. And I'm assured that none of their
hardware is going to snap in half under the weight of my screwdriver.

Sauder, Wayfair, any of the other brands out there are complete ****e,
for the most part. I have to go in bringing extra hardware (HD/Lowes
started carrying RTA parts) and have to avoid making sudden movements or
loud noises, lest I spook the pieces and they fall apart under their own
weight. :-)

But I can always count on IKEA for their (relative!) high quality when
it comes to RTA furniture. Believe it or not, IKEA actually makes some
high end stuff for their European markets. From what I hear, they
started doing the boxed kits just for shipping to overseas markets.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--