Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/13/2017 10:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/13/2017 9:33 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/12/2017 5:59 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/12/2017 10:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/12/17 9:48 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/12/2017 9:37 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/11/2017 9:47 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 10:17:14 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:
Sears should be where Amazon is today, based on their long
history of
catalog and mail order sales.
--
Jack

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20. And it would be just as accurate to
say Radio Shack should be exactly where Best Buy and Dell combined
are
today. In the 1970s and 1980s Radio Shack was the computer store.
Everything electronic was at Radio Shack. Radio Shack was in every
mall back then so they had presence everywhere in the country. All
the new computer buyers of the 1970s, 1980s, and into the 1990s
should
have bought from Radio Shack. But the Shack is now about gone. Why
didn't the people at Radio Shack predict the prevalence of computers
and online everything that came 30 years later? Probably the same
reason Sears did not see everyone ordering everything in the mail
(FedEx and UPS are a big part) fifty years later.

It's not hindsight, it is now. Sears could have easily shifted to
online sales at any time, but my guess is management had their
collective heads where the sun don't shine.

Sears has had on line sales for most of this millennium.

But like Walmart, for most stuff they are simply redirecting to
"partner
vendors."

I see that as an increasing trend. Best Buy too.

Amazon as well, and if buying enough stuff for free shipping, you have
to be very careful the "partner" isn't gouging you on shipping which
isn't included in the free shipping part. Amazon can make it a bit
confusing to say the least, and thus, more diligence required, the less
trust they get.

Yes Amazon as well. I would suggest not dabbling in what you don't
understand. Like those $1.99 shelf brackets that are more expensive
than the Prime brackets once you add in the shipping.

I'd suggest not dabbling in what you don't understand. Like Sears
charging 79 cents for shelf brackets that I bought from Amazon for 5
cents. Shipping may or may not be an issue. In your case, the
shipping didn't bring the cost up to near what Sears was charging at the
store, which was the original point.

Amazon prime issue is different, my issue with that is I have seen them
sell the exact same item for more money under prime than not prime. So
the free shipping was not as free as they let on, breeding lack of trust
for their sales tactics. Worse, increased diligence needed just when it
harder to muster as age creeps up. Perhaps a class action age
discrimination suit would be cool.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com