Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/13/17 9:31 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 9:36:28 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/12/2017 9:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 10:57:42 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/12/2017 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/12/2017 6:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2017 9:47 PM, wrote:

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20. And it would be just as
accurate to say Radio Shack should be exactly where Best
Buy and Dell combined are today. In the 1970s and 1980s
Radio Shack was the computer store. Everything electronic
was at Radio Shack. Radio Shack was in every mall back
then so they had presence everywhere in the country.
All the new computer buyers of the 1970s, 1980s, and into
the 1990s should've have bought from Radio Shack. But
the Shack is now about gone. Why didn't the people at
Radio Shack predict the prevalence of computers and
online everything that came 30 years later? Probably the
same reason Sears did not see everyone ordering
everything in the mail (FedEx and UPS are a big part)
fifty years later.

Radio Shack did predict it and figured they would be
selling computers to the world. They thought they could
sell them at full retail price while others were selling
them for 30% less.

RS was a good place if you need a diode or resistor, but
not for equipment.

Every time I went into Radio shack I had to give them my
name, address, phone number, wife's maiden name, first born's
name, favorite dogs name and other assorted stupid crap. I
once tried to buy without giving them the info and they
wouldn't sell to me until I did. There's a great marketing
strategy, **** off your customers. I believe they have a
pretty good online presence, in which they probably found
even better ways to **** off customers.

WOW! They must have been picking on you in particular, I
never experienced that.

They weren't just picking on him, they picked on me too. I hated
answering the same questions over and over again. It's a frigging
electronics store. Shouldn't just a phone number bring up
everything they needed? Even Harbor Freight can do that.

I used to make stuff up just to screw with them.

I never had any issue, just gave them my telephone number. If you
were making stuff up they probably got several extra hits on your
reference and then had to narrow it down to which one you were
going to pick for that day.

I didn't start making stuff up until they annoyed me by constantly
asking for the same info. I even mentioned (more then once) that they
already had my info.

"Why do you ask me all the same questions every time I come in?"

"That's how the system works, sir. May I have your name please?"

Eventually, I figured that if my real info wasn't being retained, I
might as well just give them whatever I wanted.

When I still had a Radio Shack within driving distance, it got to the
point where I was getting 3 mailers all to the same address, because
inevitably whichever salesman on that particular day didn't know how to
use the computer and would re-enter my info on a new account.

The last time they tried to tell me they needed my name for the sale, I
just said, "You make it a cash sale or you don't get the sale."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--