Posted to rec.woodworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Forever Chair Glides

On Jan 13, 2017, Sonny wrote
(in ):

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 8:09:21 AM UTC-6, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Gradually a list of requirements formed:

1. Must attach using a screw. No nails!

2. Must have a hard smooth durable surface that will not accumulate or embed
grit.

3. It should not wear out in less than ten years.

4. It cannot rust or corrode in indoor service. Outdoor service a plus.

5. It would be nice if they accommodate slightly uneven floors.

6. It would be nice if they weren't too expensive.

7. Noise reduction
Seems the Delrin casters are of hard material, maybe fine for outdoors, but
not sure about indoors. On hardwood/ceramic floors, I would think they would
"make noise", as the furniture is dragged across the floor.

On wood, no noise.

I dont have a suitable ceramic tile floor to test, but I wouldnt expect
delrin to be noisy there either. I dont recall any such complaints when I
was researching these glides.

Lee Valley & Veritas says no problem, well no
marring:http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware...cat=3,40993,41
285

In the Forever Glide, the footpad is connected to the cup with a piece of
double-sticky rubber foam tape, which will further absorb noise. Maybe steel
would make noise on a ceramic floor, but delrin is far softer than steel.

Many folks are allergic to wool (felt), though an allergic reaction usually
requires direct contact with the wool. The more common, cheaper Walmart-type
felt casters are made of polyester, a reasonable substitute for those
allergic to wool, despite the dust collecting and falling-apart issues with
this cheaper product.

One can buy industrial-grade polyester felt from McMaster-Carr, if wool is a
problem:https://www.mcmaster.com/#felt/=15w8eey.
This will also have the grit-accumulation properties of wool felt.

Joe Gwinn