Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 9:36:28 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/12/2017 9:56 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 10:57:42 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/12/2017 9:44 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/12/2017 6:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/11/2017 9:47 PM, wrote:

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20. And it would be just as accurate to
say Radio Shack should be exactly where Best Buy and Dell combined are
today. In the 1970s and 1980s Radio Shack was the computer store.
Everything electronic was at Radio Shack. Radio Shack was in every
mall back then so they had presence everywhere in the country. All
the new computer buyers of the 1970s, 1980s, and into the 1990s should've
have bought from Radio Shack. But the Shack is now about gone. Why
didn't the people at Radio Shack predict the prevalence of computers
and online everything that came 30 years later? Probably the same
reason Sears did not see everyone ordering everything in the mail
(FedEx and UPS are a big part) fifty years later.

Radio Shack did predict it and figured they would be selling computers
to the world. They thought they could sell them at full retail price
while others were selling them for 30% less.

RS was a good place if you need a diode or resistor, but not for
equipment.

Every time I went into Radio shack I had to give them my name, address,
phone number, wife's maiden name, first born's name, favorite dogs name
and other assorted stupid crap. I once tried to buy without giving them
the info and they wouldn't sell to me until I did. There's a great
marketing strategy, **** off your customers. I believe they have a
pretty good online presence, in which they probably found even better
ways to **** off customers.

WOW! They must have been picking on you in particular, I never
experienced that.

They weren't just picking on him, they picked on me too. I hated answering the same
questions over and over again. It's a frigging electronics store. Shouldn't just a phone
number bring up everything they needed? Even Harbor Freight can do that.

I used to make stuff up just to screw with them.

I never had any issue, just gave them my telephone number. If you were
making stuff up they probably got several extra hits on your reference
and then had to narrow it down to which one you were going to pick for
that day.

I didn't start making stuff up until they annoyed me by constantly asking
for the same info. I even mentioned (more then once) that they already had
my info.

"Why do you ask me all the same questions every time I come in?"

"That's how the system works, sir. May I have your name please?"

Eventually, I figured that if my real info wasn't being retained, I
might as well just give them whatever I wanted.