Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Forever Chair Glides

On 1/12/2017 8:47 PM, wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
One of life's minor problems that can become major aggravations are the
glides one installs on the legs of chairs to protect the floor as people
shuffle the chairs around.

I've tried a lot of things. Glides that are nailed to the end of the leg
always seem to pull out, and tear the floor up if not caught in time. Soft
plastic mushrooms. Felt wears out and also captures grit.

FWIW, I bought a roll of 1/4" F3 grade industrial pressed wool felt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRI0I9G/

It's nothing like the stuff sold for use on furniture. I put it underneath
almost everything over two years ago and it still looks like new, despite my
toddler's best food- and drink-slinging efforts. The fibers are too tightly
packed to retain grit, though probably its not as great in that department
as the Delrin. There's no hint of any of it pulling apart or separating, not
even under the chairs which are constantly being slid around.

I used tin snips to cut it, and 3M aerosol adhesive (Super 77, I think)
under the wooden legs of the dining table and dining chairs. Everywhere else
the furniture is heavy enough that it didn't need to be attached.

Interesting stuff. Do you recommend sticking with the 1/4" stuff or do
you think that the 1/8" thickness would work as well if it provides
clearance for the bottom of whatever item one is sliding on the floor?