Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default R. Cott. 12

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 10:23:27 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 23:22:12 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

I will have similar issues: the router at one end and the lounge
upstairs at the other. I am hoping someone will give a words of few
syllables instruction how to migrate the wi-fi using ethernet cable:-)

If you still have the opportunity to flood wire R.C. with whatever the
best spec Ethernet cable is (Cat5/6?) then you could put Access Points
at whatever locations are appropriate.

Or Wireless Powerline adaptors if you don't want to run the cable and
want something more 'portable'.

Summat like: TP-LINK TL-WPA4220TKIT AV600 (1 wired master, two
wireless (+wired) slaves). With a wireless router that would give you
3 Wireless access points and if you put them all on the same SSID, it
would become one big wireless network (I believe the TP-Link units
allow you to set up the WiFi units using WPS (press button).

Not exactly words of one syllable Tim:-)

;-)

It would be nice to avoid multiple access codes for visitors needing
connection but then moving elsewhere in the house.

That's the good things about setting all the access points with the
same SSID (Wireless network name) and password (that applies if you
use Ethernet wired Access Points or Powerline ones).

However, I don't think there is normally the same level of
intelligence as with say Cellular Telephones where the link will 'hop'
to a stronger signal if it senses one available. So, if say you made
the first wireless connection to the Router and then walked to another
room with another access point on the exact same network, I don't
think it would use that (stronger signal) till the connection to the
first one broke.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Windows gives you the ability to prioritise the order of the
network connections (so you set the one you are most likely to be
nearest at the top of the list) but not sure you can do that with
other OS's (FWIW etc).