Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/12/2017 10:18 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 1/12/2017 9:57 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Snip

We have a lot of Fry's electronics superstores in the area
which still carry components and sell computers. They've
been significantly undercut by Amazon and NewEgg for computers,
so they've cut way back on computer stuff (although they still
support the build-it-yourself crowd reasonably well); they've
expanded into home appliances, but still the stores aren't
what they used to be.

How is Fry's holding up there? About 10 years ago a Fry's was built
near wher I used to live in SW Houston. That store was great for
several years but in the last 3 or so years it appears to be turning
into a "dollar store". Software selection is way down, isles have very
few choices, and there appears to be a big push toward Chinese made kids
toys.

The Brokaw store was almost deserted the sunday before xmas when I
went in to get a new SATA drive to replace a crashed drive.

Yes! Our local store was a nightmare to get into on a weekend, you
drove around looking for a parking spot.
And then suddenly too much up close parking. I do not know if your
stores are big or not but IIRC ours had about 50 registers with next in
line purchasing at those registers. On holidays I saw almost all of
those registers open. Now they could probably get by with 2~3 registers.

All the stores have the large checkout area with 50 or so registers.

I don't recall ever seeing them use the second set of 25, and in the
few years, they seldom have more than two or three registers open. But
then I go there once or twice a year now (more frequently in the past).

Each store has a "theme". The Brokaw store is Mayan themed, the Burbank
store looks like a crashed spaceship from a 50's SF movie. The Palo
Alto store is a wild-wild-west theme. The Campbell store is Egyptian
themed. I haven't been to the Anaheim store, but it is based on the
Space Shuttle.

Houston looks like it's oil (suprise!) themed.

Yes that is the north side store, the theme for the sw store is ghetto.
;~) They say, South Houston honors the city's rich pioneer heritage.

http://www.frys.com/template/isp/ind...tore%20History