Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 20:34:48 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:39:47 -0000, Tim+ wrote:

NY wrote:
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news Anyone got automatic windscreen wipers? I'm told the Fiesta ones
actually come on when it's frosty, and rip the blades off. You'd
think they'd have a temperature sensor?

Mind you manual is as bad, I've yet to see a car which flicks the
wipers to off when you turn off the engine, otherwise the next
morning they try to wipe when frozen and you lose the rubber!

I always pour a bit of *tepid* (not hot) water over the wipers and
screen if there's frost on the screen, to free the wipers. I then
make sure the wiper switch is set to off before turning the
ignition key.

Why tepid? I run the hottest water I can from the hot tap and fling
it liberally on to the screen. Been doing it for oodles of years
with no problems.

If in a hurry, I direct my shower at the car (the drive is outside
the bathroom window). I use the temperature you would use to have a
hot shower. I would think changing glass from 0C to 100C at once
would cause cracks. Certainly the other way round can break cooking
stuff.

You squirt your shower from your bathroom window onto your car!
Pikey is as pikey does.

Tell me a faster or more ingenious way to warm the glass.

--
Amanpreet was overheard at the hospital angrily say, "My wife just delivered twins!!!"
A passerby said, "So? You should be happy about that. Why are you so angry?"