Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Ikea Effect: The Science of Cheap, Crappy Furniture

On 1/11/2017 4:43 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:06:28 +0000
Spalted Walt wrote:

"We don't need no stinking aprons."

http://www.core77.com/posts/59321/Ho...g-Their-Design

cheap crappy usable

choose two and it seems people are happy with cheap and usable

because they keep buying it

will there be a trend back to well made furnishings or will the masses
just not care

When our daughter was a small child we bought several items from Ikea.
There were no heirlooms, to be sure, but most of them had a pleasing
"clean lines" style and did the job. Her "high-bed" was an unqualified
success, actually; sturdy enough, with lots of room underneath for
storage and play and inexpensive enough to make sense for the few years
she would use it. The cubbyhole bookcases we bought were chipboard, of
course, but the "beech" veneer had a nice color to it the cubbies held
an awful lot of stuff that needed holding.

A couple of years later, we decided to buy a dressers for our daughter's
room. In the interim, the quality had deteriorated noticeably. For one
thing, the two units must have been from different batches; the stain
didn't match. In the previous incarnation of Ikea, they'd have shipped a
replacement. No longer. The chipboard also had bigger, coarser chips,
and any non-visible surface was left bare. Although I was pretty
experienced at putting flat-pack furniture together, the pieces didn't
fit as well as the earlier stuff.

I think that's a shame, because their earlier, better stuff fulfilled a
need: decent-looking functional furniture at an attractive price. We're
a little more flush these days, have most of the furniture we need, and
I intend to fill in here and there with pieces I build myself. But
plenty of other people could use an affordable alternative.

---