Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Hot swapping CMOS batteries

In article ple.org,
says...

Propane soldering irons work very well for this sort of thing -
ungrounded...

Wasn't that one reason for promoting the cordless soldering iron sold in
the seventies? I forget who made it, Radio Shack sold it under their
name also, but there was something about an "iso-tip". Since it didn't
plug in, you could use it where other irons might not be safe.

Michael

Wal made them, maybe still do. They started out making battery powered
shavers. Maybe that was just another product to that line. The main
usage was for places that you did not or could not get a cord to. I had
one and used it because it was quick heating when I only wanted to make
one or two quick connections. Did not have to wait for the wall powered
unit to heat up. Now I have an iron that heats up in just a few
seconds.