Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default More green lies.

On 12/01/17 12:06, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , TimW
wrote:

[...]

Exactly. I didn't express myself well, but burning wood is carbon
neutral as long as the carbon cycle continues of Co2 to hydrocarbons
by plant growth then back to CO2 by oxidisation. It isn't carbon
neutral if the forest is just wasted and not replanted. But it is a
fine thing you do for mankind every night that you light your woodburner

What do you mean by "wasted" in this context? Trees just dying and
rotting down naturally? Why would that not be carbon neutral?

A forest in its natural state with vegetation growing, dieing back and
rotting would be carbon neutral or even carbon positive as long as the
organic matter is accumulating and increasing in the growth and in the
soil.

I don't have any special knowledge on this subject but that is my
understanding.

TW