Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk[_3_] Tim Daneliuk[_3_] is offline

Default Ikea Effect: The Science of Cheap, Crappy Furniture

On 01/11/2017 02:39 PM, Bill wrote:
I think the new design is (1) Not as strong and (2) More difficult to repair.

It's not intended to be. Engineering is about design for an intended purpose.
These tables are intended to be inexpensive to buy and replace, rarely to fix.
They are not heirlooms. For many people, they're the first piece of new
"furniture" they buy on their way up the economic food chain.

FWIW, I also buy the occasional tool at HF if I don't need to use it
in heavy duty or continuous application...