Posted to rec.woodworking
ads[_2_] ads[_2_] is offline

Default Ikea Effect: The Science of Cheap, Crappy Furniture

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:43:29 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 20:06:28 +0000
Spalted Walt wrote:

"We don't need no stinking aprons."

http://www.core77.com/posts/59321/Ho...g-Their-Design

cheap crappy usable

choose two and it seems people are happy with cheap and usable

because they keep buying it

will there be a trend back to well made furnishings or will the masses
just not care

Need a box for the 3D printer I'm building. Using an $8 IKEA end/side
table as the structure and will add hinged plexiglas sides (for access
& visibility). Basically, I'm making a cube with no bottom.
I get precut and finished pieces that create a (mostly) square frame
that's the correct size - and for less than the lumber and paint would
cost. Durabililty? Unless I drop the table, it should survive well.
The only weight on the table will be the filament spools (about 1kg
each).
Cheap? Yes. Ugly? Probably. OK for sitting on the workbench?
Definitely.