Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Kraus[_2_] Larry Kraus[_2_] is offline

Default Ikea Effect: The Science of Cheap, Crappy Furniture

On 1/11/2017 3:39 PM, Bill wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote:
"We don't need no stinking aprons."

http://www.core77.com/posts/59321/Ho...g-Their-Design

I have a hunch the former style will have a Much longer lifetime. I've
repaired/maintained a few tables, and I think the new design is (1) Not
as strong and (2) More difficult to repair. I suspect that the
"mortise" is the weak spot---partcularly if it's cut in particle board.
By the way, don't underlook "duct tape" as a possible repair
medium--assuming no one looks under your tables. PDAMHIKT.

The linked article
(http://www.core77.com/posts/27726/ik...le-board-27726)
shows that the design is move away from particle board, using solid wood
frames in a torsion box construction. The "wavy" mortise & tenon would
never hold up in particle board.