Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default OT new car vs year old car....

Mark Allread Wrote in message:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 13:23:55 +0000, jim wrote:

I have offers for a new car of Circa 26600 (carwow) in my choice
of metallic.

2nd hand/ex demo "year old" examples are advertised (ebay, auto
trader) for 24000 or 24500, usually in cheapo white.

If these cars retain 45% value after 3 years shurely these used
prices are way over the odds?

What gives?

They expect the buyer to be less smart than you and assume that a nearly
new car will be a lot less than a brand new car and so don't bother to do
the sums.

Especially when a number of brand new cars come with zero percent finance
deals so actually work out cheaper than buying s/h with a loan of c5%.

Ah. Ironically I'd prefer a good 1 year old to avoid the big hit
in year 1 depreciation.

What are my chances of "talking sense" into a dealer about such a
vehicle? (I can easily imagine them sticking to their guns &
waiting for a punter to roll up & cough up...)

Or is it just a "buy a new one & hope the residuals hold up in 3
years" job?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----