Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garage fluorescent light fixtures

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 7:58:57 AM UTC-5, Chiefjim wrote:
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 5:17:27 AM UTC-6, dadiOH wrote:
"Chiefjim" wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 6:58:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:39:23 -0800 (PST), hrhofmann wrote:

What is a tombstone called by regular people?

The lamp socket.

To the OP, I am migrating all of my old T12F40s to LED as they go bad.
So far so good but considering most of these are 20-26 year old cheap
"shop lights", they have a lot to live up to.

Did you find any of the plastic parts became brittle? As I seldom use the
garage lights I would have stayed with fluorescent tubes but when tubes
won't twist into place and tabs snap off I get doubtful.

I have 20 year old shop lamps too, NP with the tabs, I'm in Florida. How
cold was it when yours broke?

18

At 18°F I would expect standard florescent tubes to be dim and flickering.
They may eventually warm up enough to stop flickering, but cold temp
flickering of florescent tubes is common. The fact that all 3 of your
fixtures are acting the same way, I'd really suspect cold temp issues.

I have begun to convert my shop light fixtures to direct wire LED's tubes.
You can get versions that work with ballasts and those where the tombstone
is direct wired to the 120VAC. I'm not talking about replacing the fixtures
with LED fixtures, just the tubes as shown he

https://www.earthled.com/blogs/light...lacement-tubes

When using direct wired tubes, you need to make sure that you have/use
non-shunted tombstones. So far, I've been lucky and all my fixtures have
non-shunted tombstones

https://www.earthled.com/collections...it-lampholders

One thing to be aware of is how bright these LED tubes can be. Even at a
lower lumen value, they may be much brighter because all of the light is
directed downward. It took me a while to get used to how bright my garage
and shop are now that the LEDs are in use. I'm actually hesitating to
convert a few of the fixtures in my basement because I really don't need
that much light. I may opt for a lower lumen value so that I go all LED
but without the brightness.