Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PING: Clare. Fuel amount per injector firing?

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 20:57:22 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

On 09/01/17 23:01, wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:27:25 -0800,
wrote:

Greetings Clare,
I just thought a few minutes ago how a fuel injector might be a good
way to apply Minimum Quantity Lubrication to cutting tools. I figure
you or someone else here must know what the minimum amount of fuel is
that can be delivered from a typical gasoline engine fuel injector.
Gasoline is thinner than the MQL fluids but maybe the injector would
work anyway. The thinnest MQL fluids I use are water thin or pretty
close to water thin. The thickest has a viscosity camparable to or
slightly less than 5 weight motor oil. Actually less than 5 weight.
Maybe 5 weight and kerosene mixed 1/2 and 1/2. I can certainly
pressurize a liquid reservoir to the required pressure. Maybe a trip
to the wrecking yard for a ruel pump and some injectors is in my
future.
Thanks,
Eric

The injectors are pulsed and the fluid is under pressure. Higher
pressure makes a viner mist and flows more per milisecond of opening.

An "average" injector can flow about 26 lbs of fuel per hour if held
wide open, so about 2.6 at 10% duty cycle, and 0.26 at 1% duty cycle.

Tghis is at specified pressure - which can be anywhere from about
26PSI to close to 100. Varying the pressure changes the numbers.

A 555 timer set up to pulse the injector would give you a pretty wide
adjustment range.

A 555 might be a good choice for providing the timing pulse but the
LM1949 is a purpose made injector drive chip so would be a good choice
for doing actual injector control.

That's the peak and hold I was talking about.