Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] Samuel M. Goldwasser[_2_] is offline

Default Lithium powered things not charging?

T i m writes:

Try it with a genuine charger for the tablet.

An iPhone charger may not charge an iPad.

iAnythings seem to shut off before going totally flat. I don't know
about others though.

--- sam

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:07:14 -0000, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all and HNY.

Daughter recently bought a 'refurbished' Samsumg Galaxy Tab2 10.1"
(tablet) and it seemed ok at first. However, the supplier forgot to
include the charger. She called them and in spite of requesting a
genuine Samsung one, they sent her a generic jobby (and only 650mA).

Along the way (and not helped by the charger thing) she's allowed it
to go flat and now it won't charge up again

All the books are telling me that there's a critical minimum discharge
voltage that going under damages the cell.

Agreed.

Anything worth having should have a UVLO circuit to prevent that happening -

And most good devices do of course, however, they may only be
protected from everyday full discharge conditions, not being left
uncharged indefinitely (battery self discharge)?

I'd take it back and tell them its not fit for purpose.

Refurbs usually only have 90 day warranty - so get your skates on.

That was the plan but there is now an update (and some egg on face).

Recap: Daughter ordered the refurb Tab2 after my suggestion because of
the cost, and there wasn't much about that was also 3/4G ready (and
network unlocked).

It arrived very quickly and when she unpacked it it *appeared* they
had just sent the tablet, charging / data cable and the two pin Uk
charger plug adaptor, not no charger itself.

So, because it came with some initial charge she was able to play with
it and confirmed it would do what she needed. It seemed to accept some
charge using other USB chargers (we have many) and that was that.

She didn't want to take it out till she had a decent case so put it to
one side and ordered an Otterbox defender that took a while to go
though. She mounted it in the case, tested that it still worked and
put it aside again.

In the meantime she had contacted the supplier re the missing charger
and they quickly sent a generic (only 650mA, not the Samsung 2A) one
though.

I tried the charger but only saw the charging loop issue (and it was
too flat to turn on by now) and no other charger seemed to make
matters any better, including a genuine Samsung 2A one that came with
a Samsung phone.

Then I did some Googling and posted here, assuming the tablet had gone
into what appears to be a known under voltage / loop state.

I then contacted the supplier, went though what we had done so far and
they emailed her a courier collection / returns document and I went to
pack it all up ready for collection. As I picked up the Samsung box, I
felt something moving inside that felt heavier than the Uk plug
adaptor pins but when I opened it up there was nothing (other than
said adaptor) to be seen, however, when I lifted up the blow moulded
layer I found the genuine Samsung (5V 2A) charger underneath!

So, I plugged it into the Tab and lo and behold it started charging
properly g (the gold battery icon stayed on screen for a good time),
however, the plug didn't seem to seat fully?

Upon close inspection it looked like there was something laying across
the bottom of the socket and I carefully removed it it appeared to be
a 5mm length of softish plastic that could have come from the Otterbox
or been there all the time (and part of the issue)?

So, at this time we are keeping the tablet 'under observation' and
will discharge it completely to make sure it continues to recover ok
(although if it recovered from the previous depth of discharge there
is no reason it shouldn't ... *unless* it's an intermittent problem.

Anyway, I thought I'd relay what actually happened in case it helps
anyone else and thanks to all who replied. ;-)

Cheers, T i m