Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default That's slightly interesting

On 1/10/2017 6:55 PM, GB wrote:
Years ago (20 or 30), I bought a mitre saw, I find it really quite good
and reasonably accurate. This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-.../dp/B000LFRXW2

And yet it gets terrible reviews. Now, I've found a review that explains
why:
"I have to say that the quality and accuracy is poor, now that many of
its components are plastic, the original were all cast ally and it was a
good piece of kit"

I paid more £££s for mine all those years ago, so something has to give.

I have the Wickes equivalent, I think mine is all cast and it is not too
bad. I'm not sure that having the "guides" in plastic is necessarily a
disaster, you need a certain amount of "touch" to get accuracy with
these. The guides are there to help guide *you*, not to prevent you from
forcing the saw to cut at an angle to the vertical.