Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default wire conductivity

Phil Allison wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I got some wire of 16 and 12 guage to use for 12 volt power wiring. It
may have been called speaker wire. A red and black pair.
The wire turned out to be aluminuim with a coating of copper.

I have seen some coax where the center conductor is aluminum with a
coating of copper, but this is for use at radio frequencies where the
skin effect is very much in effect.

** Copper clad aluminium wire ( aka CCA ) is commonly used for loudspeaker
voice coils - enamel coated of course.

The advantage is lower weight compared to pure copper, leading to more dBs
per watt.

Yes, that is definitely one place where it makes sense!
The wire in my Magneplanar speakers is made that way, although it isn't a
coil.

Jon