Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Chernobyl: new video tour of reactor 2 - not touristy

On 1/10/2017 5:06 PM, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 January 2017 10:46:14 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Well worth watching for those interested.

Tour of Chernobyl reactor 2, which was shutdown at the time reactor 4
blew up in April 1986, but restarted in the following December as the
electricity was needed. It was shut down for good about 2000.

The video is taken by a chap, quote, "[with] a graduate education in
nuclear engineering with a research emphasis in radiobiology" who
arranges workshops for professionals with an interest in radiation
protection.

"The target audience of our RAD-ER workshops has been people who may
encounter radiation, radioactive contamination, or nuclear emergency
response incidental to their jobs, and who are interested in a hands-on,
basic understanding of radiation measurement and practical protection
practices in a small-group (~8 people) setting. Participants have
diverse backgrounds (first responders, academics, students in relevant
fields, engineers). I try to distinguish these groups from the ChNPP
administration's stereotype of "tourists", which does not mean we don't
have fun (we do), but that we have a relevant focus for the visit,
background prep, and good discipline"

The vid was taken in Nov 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_zzTQFV3o

According to many posting on this site there is no significant radiation.

Without context, a meaningless statement.