Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Chernobyl: new video tour of reactor 2 - not touristy

On 1/10/2017 10:46 AM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Well worth watching for those interested.

Tour of Chernobyl reactor 2, which was shutdown at the time reactor 4
blew up in April 1986, but restarted in the following December as the
electricity was needed. It was shut down for good about 2000.

The video is taken by a chap, quote, "[with] a graduate education in
nuclear engineering with a research emphasis in radiobiology" who
arranges workshops for professionals with an interest in radiation
protection.

"The target audience of our RAD-ER workshops has been people who may
encounter radiation, radioactive contamination, or nuclear emergency
response incidental to their jobs, and who are interested in a hands-on,
basic understanding of radiation measurement and practical protection
practices in a small-group (~8 people) setting. Participants have
diverse backgrounds (first responders, academics, students in relevant
fields, engineers). I try to distinguish these groups from the ChNPP
administration's stereotype of "tourists", which does not mean we don't
have fun (we do), but that we have a relevant focus for the visit,
background prep, and good discipline"

The vid was taken in Nov 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_zzTQFV3o

Very interesting. Looks remarkably similar to the pile cap region of a
shut down Magnox reactor; probably tidier than many, in fact.

Interesting that they wear face masks there. In our C2 areas, we'd wear
the same sort of overshoes, but also boiler suits without pockets
(coveralls in our terminology) and rubber gloves over the cotton ones,
but not face masks.

But they wear masks in some of the areas outside too.