Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default PING: Clare. Fuel amount per injector firing?

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 16:51:17 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:27:25 -0800, etpm wrote:

Greetings Clare,
I just thought a few minutes ago how a fuel injector might be a good way
to apply Minimum Quantity Lubrication to cutting tools. I figure you or
someone else here must know what the minimum amount of fuel is that can
be delivered from a typical gasoline engine fuel injector. Gasoline is
thinner than the MQL fluids but maybe the injector would work anyway.
The thinnest MQL fluids I use are water thin or pretty close to water
thin. The thickest has a viscosity camparable to or slightly less than 5
weight motor oil. Actually less than 5 weight. Maybe 5 weight and
kerosene mixed 1/2 and 1/2. I can certainly pressurize a liquid
reservoir to the required pressure. Maybe a trip to the wrecking yard
for a ruel pump and some injectors is in my future.
Thanks,
Eric

I'm not Claire, or necessarily even competent. But I can pull numbers
out of my ass and do math on them:

60MPH / 30MPG = 2 gallons/hour

3000 RPM = 50 rev/sec. Assume a 4-cylinder, so 100 squirts/second

(2 gal/hr) * (1hr / (3600sec)) / (100 squirt/second) = 5.6 x 10^-6
gallons/squirt.

(5.6 x 10^-6 gal/squirt) * (128 ounce/gal) = 700 x 10^-6 ounce/squirt.

(700 x 10^-6 oz/squirt) * (30 cc/oz) = 0.02 cc/squirt.

This help? Higher viscosity means that the fluid delivery will be -- uh
-- less. Worse, higher viscosity may mean that you're screwed if you're
looking for a particular spray pattern. If electronic fuel injection is
a thing in diesels, maybe use an injector from one of them?

Greetings Tim,
I wish you would pull those numbers from somewhere else. Even your
nose would be better. Nevertheless I held my nose and used some of the
first numbers you pulled out of your ass: gallons per hour. I then
converted those numbers to cubic centimeters. Then did similar
calculations to yours and arrived at the same number you did. Thanks
for making me look too lazy to figure out how much fuel is squirted.
..02 cc might be just about what I need. If too much I could lower the
delivery pressure. The spray pattern may not be perfect but I can
modify that if need be with a nozzle downstream from the injector. Or
I can just use the injector as a timed metering valve upstream from
whatever nozzle. Cool.
Cheers,
Eric