Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default PING: Clare. Fuel amount per injector firing?

On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:27:25 -0800, etpm wrote:

Greetings Clare,
I just thought a few minutes ago how a fuel injector might be a good way
to apply Minimum Quantity Lubrication to cutting tools. I figure you or
someone else here must know what the minimum amount of fuel is that can
be delivered from a typical gasoline engine fuel injector. Gasoline is
thinner than the MQL fluids but maybe the injector would work anyway.
The thinnest MQL fluids I use are water thin or pretty close to water
thin. The thickest has a viscosity camparable to or slightly less than 5
weight motor oil. Actually less than 5 weight. Maybe 5 weight and
kerosene mixed 1/2 and 1/2. I can certainly pressurize a liquid
reservoir to the required pressure. Maybe a trip to the wrecking yard
for a ruel pump and some injectors is in my future.
Thanks,
Eric

I'm not Claire, or necessarily even competent. But I can pull numbers
out of my ass and do math on them:

60MPH / 30MPG = 2 gallons/hour

3000 RPM = 50 rev/sec. Assume a 4-cylinder, so 100 squirts/second

(2 gal/hr) * (1hr / (3600sec)) / (100 squirt/second) = 5.6 x 10^-6
gallons/squirt.

(5.6 x 10^-6 gal/squirt) * (128 ounce/gal) = 700 x 10^-6 ounce/squirt.

(700 x 10^-6 oz/squirt) * (30 cc/oz) = 0.02 cc/squirt.

This help? Higher viscosity means that the fluid delivery will be -- uh
-- less. Worse, higher viscosity may mean that you're screwed if you're
looking for a particular spray pattern. If electronic fuel injection is
a thing in diesels, maybe use an injector from one of them?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!