Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapered disk..

wrote in message
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 11:29:51 AM UTC-5, Phil Kangas wrote:
"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 7:35:01 PM UTC-8, James
Waldby wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 19:23:11 -0800, whit3rd wrote:

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 5:42:13 PM UTC-8, Phil
Kangas wrote:
I've been presented with an unusual project involving
cutting a 2 deg taper on one side of a disk. The part
is mild steel, 3/8 thick, 5" O.D., with a 3" hole in
the
center. Guy wants a 2 deg tapered face

So, bore the hole 2.5", hold from inside, complete the
taper,
hold from outside, and finish boring the hole.

Is that intended for lathe setup, or mill? Why not just
cut the
3" ID in the first place?

I was thinking 'taper' meant making the disk into a cone.
So, my answer was for a reversible jaw 3-jaw chuck and
workholding
on the lathe to avoid cutting the jaws.

If it means a wedge, the lathe isn't the easiest tool for
the facing cut
(though a faceplate and a backing wedge could be
arranged).

This is not a cone, it is a wedge. The cut is only on one
face
of the disk. The cut face is 2 deg off perpendicular to the
center
axis of the hole. It's a nasty work holding situation.

As I read the question, the disk will end up 0.375" thick
at
one point, and about 0.2005" at a point 5" from the first
point.

Yup, you see it correct.
Perhaps one way to do it would be to make a work holding
ring long enough to hold in the mill somehow and cut a
2 deg face on one end. Then tack weld this ring to the
disk of interest and cut that face with the lathe. Make
sense?
More taper disks could then be cut with this setup.

If I'm thinking about the geometry correctly, this is how I'd do it:
I'd mount it on a lathe faceplate with one edge propped up, and a
drawbar pulling a bolt-like piece through the through-hole. Face the
disk as close as you can to the central clamp -- whatever you're
pulling with the drawbar. Then, without changing the setup, I'd clamp
the disk at three or four points around the edge, and withdraw
whatever I was holding with the drawbar. Then I'd finish facing the
area around the hole.

Or did I just crash something I hadn't thought of? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

The prop could be a #17 or 11/64" drill bit. I'd want two more props
at right angles to stabilize the disk from wobbling, and something
(wire?) to independently hold the props in place if it does anyway.
You can't tighten the drawbar to clamp everything together while the
faceplate is flat on the bench being assembled.
-jsw