Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

Does this go back a while as a thread?
Where I worked we had a generator, here I had several old car batteries and
a battery light and tv.

The parafin heaters were great but oh the condensation.
Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they rely on
their leccy and internet connections too much.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Marion Meekings" m wrote
in message ...
replying to Mick IOW, Marion Meekings wrote:
I remember it well I was 18 and working hard to survive it all. But we
dI'd it as a great British nation would do. We prepared ourselves for
it.
We mainly had Coal fires although coal was limited then .
My poor old was 58 then and worked in a powerful station he would collect
any
wood wherever he could to keep us warm and have hot water. My sister lived
in
a Tower Block 22 floors high they lived on the top floor with 2 very small
babies.
We had to organise our times but it was fun, candles and conversation our
own
entertainment kettles on the back boiler for a lovely cuppa and bread
toasted
by the fire. .
The bedrooms had ice on the inside of the windows so mum and dad put a
parafin heater in the room before we went to bed.
Even now when I smell paraffin it takes me straight back to them times.
Dad played a mouth organ and mum and us kids use to sing along.
I actually miss them days
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...0s-980209-.htm