Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marion Meekings Marion Meekings is offline

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

replying to Mick IOW, Marion Meekings wrote:
I remember it well I was 18 and working hard to survive it all.
But we dI'd it as a great British nation would do. We prepared ourselves for
it.
We mainly had Coal fires although coal was limited then .
My poor old was 58 then and worked in a powerful station he would collect any
wood wherever he could to keep us warm and have hot water. My sister lived in
a Tower Block 22 floors high they lived on the top floor with 2 very small
babies.
We had to organise our times but it was fun, candles and conversation our own
entertainment kettles on the back boiler for a lovely cuppa and bread toasted
by the fire. .
The bedrooms had ice on the inside of the windows so mum and dad put a
parafin heater in the room before we went to bed.
Even now when I smell paraffin it takes me straight back to them times.
Dad played a mouth organ and mum and us kids use to sing along.
I actually miss them days

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...0s-980209-.htm