Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Lithium powered things not charging?

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 11:48:01 -0800, mike wrote:

snip

You have an unknown source suggesting some vague fix that
defeats charging protocols using an unknown
"diode" not clearly defined on the schematic to a DIFFERENT tablet
made by Samsung,

Potentially yes. He *could* know exactly what he's doing (he looks
like he might) but he also may have no idea (so point noted).

the poster child for lithium battery safety.

Didn't know that, thanks.

How many bad signs do you need before you determine that this is too
risky??

Well, to be fair I wasn't going to even attempt anything (if I ever
did) until several other avenues had been exhausted but again. I do
get your point / caution.

Not at all clear exactly what he's doing.
If he's adding a parallel charging path

If you have followed his idea and see that's exactly what he is doing
then fair enough. If not (and playing devils advocate for a second)
then couldn't it (possibly?) be a nifty / safe solution?

thru the unspecified diode,

Unspecified other than a "a std rectification' diode you mean, or were
you still talking about it's roll?

(The other day I fixed an electronic motorcycle speedo for a friend by
replacing the remains (through water ingress / corrosion) of some SM
diode with a 4001 I happened to have a load of. It seems to work ok
but isn't charging a battery of course.g)

I'd suggest that it's a time-bomb.

I do understand your caution so thanks for that.

You'd need at least three silicon junction diodes and a series resistor.
I would never, ever, suggest that anyone try such a stupid thing.

Understood ... and that's why I asked if anyone could 'vet' what was
proposed here. ;-)

Another thing that I believe is overlooked.
When you modify a device in an unsafe manner, you risk harming yourself
and those around you.

Understood ... but I would prefer to see it as 'if' rather that when
as not all cases *will* be inherently dangerous (even if they weren't
fully considered or technically correct). Like, loads of people have
simply unplugged and replugged the battery in such 'non-charging'
situations but how do we know if that also isn't potentially bypassing
some safety function?

If you let ANYONE else use it, or steal it, or sell it to someone,
you put THEM at a risk that they're not even aware of. If it's sold
at your estate sale, all your good intentions to remove the mod
are worthless.

Understood. There are many jobs I could easily undertake but where the
thought of something going wrong, even if nothing to do with my input,
doesn't bear thinking about ... so I don't. What I call the 'what if'
factor.

Just OOI if I may Mike, do you ever buy any unbranded electronics ...
phone chargers, cables, battery packs etc? I ask because I understand
some of these sort of things are also not built with the same level of
safety in mind that we might assume and pay for in some of the
(hopefully) better branded kit? (genuine question).

Thanks for your feedback. ;-)

Cheers, T i m