Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Conducting concrete

On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 10:28:15 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 15:56:08 -0000, TimR wrote:

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 9:29:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
If you touch a hot 120 V wire while standing in socks on your concrete basement
floor or on a deck outside, you WILL get a shock.

It's up to you if you want to call that __conducting__ or not.

I found a reply from OSHA to a question from a corporate safety officer:

Question 2: Would you consider an ungrounded fan, on a dry concrete floor, on grade, in an industrial setting a violation of this specific standard?

Reply: The use of an ungrounded fan situated on a dry concrete floor on grade in an industrial setting will be a violation of the OSHA rule at 1910.304(f)(5)(v)(C)(5), if the fan has exposed non-current-carrying metal parts that can be contacted by employees. Concrete on grade level, because it will absorb moisture from the earth and be a good conductor in direct contact with the earth, is always considered to be at ground potential.

There's something very important right there which backs me up completely:

"because it will absorb moisture from the earth and be a good conductor in direct contact with the earth". So **damp** concrete conducts. I wasn't talking about damp concrete. I was talking about concrete dry enough to be the floor of your home. Do you really walk around on damp floors? What if you lay a carpet?

--
Peter is in the top three most intelligent people -- Ron Tompkins, circa 2013.

So sad that the UK is apparently so poor and backward that they
apparently have bare concrete floors in the living space of most homes.