Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clock Radios

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Yes mobile quality itself can be poor at times, BUT it beCOMES RATHER
DISTRActing to LISTen to when it toggles BETWEEN DIFFERENT qualities
several TIMES WITHin a sentence.

What I'm not clear about is why this only seems to happen with phone
calls? Even the very worst broadcast rate is going to be better than a
phone.

Maybe something that's been through a GSM codec, then A-Law companding
(I presume the BBC will accept calls over an ISDN/30 circuit) then an
MP2 codec can trigger some edge case?

I'm not really sure. Not something I've experienced. Perhaps
uk.tech.broadcast might help - if there's anyone left on that who knows
about such things.

It might be some other part of the broadcast chain, but it's not an
effect I've ever heard on a mobile phone call myself and it happens very
frequently on R5L.

I take it you don't hear the same on AM?

But given audio quality isn't something that important with phone ins -
why not just use AM if its better than DAB?

Because of the other bad effects with AM in an car.

Quite.

I'll have a listen to R5L on DAB to see if I can hear what you report. The
other possibility is something in your receiver? Have you also tried
FreeView?

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW