Don Wiss

Default Front Loading Washers

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, "Kevin O'" wrote:

We bought the Sears Kenmore front loader - about 6 months ago - so far it's
been great.

That is the one I bought. Their top-of-the-line model. Mine's about a year
old.

Also, the high speed spin
ability takes much more water out of clothes requiring much less dryer
time...

I always put mine on extended spin at the highest speed. I see no reason
not to. Minimizes dryer time.

I also always add the second rinse. I care more about having my clothes
soap-free, than saving some water.

One thing, I've found that front loaders are ergonomically less comfortable
than top loaders - the door is very low (could be an issue for older
persons - but maybe not). You might consider placing the machines on a solid
platform to make access easier.

I find the door no lower than the door to my dryer. And with the clothes
basket on the floor I just lift them up and into the opening. But I am not
old and I have no problem stooping.

As for reliability - I've seen no difference - It's all warranteed anyway...

Living alone I don't have that many clothes to wash. So no real service
calls. My only problem was the delivery people did not balance it as they
were supposed to. So I had to get them back. Then they still didn't do it
right. After leveling the instructions say to tighten up the nuts to lock
in place the feet. And if not it will wobble. Well, I was able to tighten
the front nuts, but I can't pull it out by myself get the rear ones. So it
does wobble.

Don donwiss at panix.com.