Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS Circuit -- Part 2

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 14:52:52 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/6/2017 1:59 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 8:16:13 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 1/5/2017 8:00 PM,
wrote:

I suggested the OP put a sub-panel out in his garage. This can
come off the main feed into the house. I'm not sure what a
220amp breaker is that you mentioned.

I think he means 220V breaker. If the main panel is full, then
space has to be made for the breaker feeding the sub. At least
that's how I read it.

Maybe even he meant 240 volt.

Not being an officially trained electrician, I've never looked into
the 220-230-240 volt or 120-115-110 volt issue. I'm pretty sure
those are all identical and interchangeable, but why are all the
numbers used interchangeably? Why don't we pick one number and use
it? Why does everyone talk about 120 volt outlets in their house,
but the outlet says 115 volts.

IIRC it was 110/220, now it is 120/240 in the USA. Why that changed I
do not know unless it was to be able to save on the gauge of cables and
wires. And most home electrical devices will run on slightly less than
and or slightly higher than the stated voltage.

Yup, I don't remember when it changed but it was 115/230V at some
point between those two standards.

Oddly I think 440 volt is still normal

It's often called that but it is 480V.